I always try to keep a jar of this fresh paste in the fridge. It is so handy for making golden milk in the evenings and I love stirring a spoon through my morning porridge. Turmeric and ginger have many amazing health benefits, I started eating this to help manage my knee pain, but I stuck with this paste because it’s actually very delicious! We stock fresh, organic turmeric and ginger roots in the shop so you can easily add some to your next order.
Ingredients (don’t need to be exact)
- a large thumb of fresh ginger
- a similar amount of fresh turmeric
- 1 heaped tbsp coconut oil (this helps your body absorb the turmeric and ginger)
- 4 or 5 tbsp maple syrup (or your choice of sweetener)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 a tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- a splash of water
- As you are using organic turmeric and ginger, you don’t really need to peel them, but if you would like to, use a teaspoon to scrape off the skin and get into the awkward nooks and crannies without wasting too much flesh. Roughly chop and add to a small, strong food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend into a smooth, thick paste.
- Pour the paste into a very clean jar and keep in the fridge. Use within 3 weeks. You can also freeze the paste in ice cube trays to keep it fresher for longer.
How to use:
Add a spoon or two to a mug of hot milk and drink in the evening after a long day, especially if you are feeling achey. I like mine topped with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Blend a spoon with banana, ice and milk to make a golden smoothie. Kids love these!
Simmer a spoon into your morning pot of porridge. Top with coconut flakes and cinnamon or your favourite fruit and nuts.
- Do not consume high amounts of turmeric if you are pregnant. Consult a doctor if you are concerned that turmeric will interact with other medication or health problems.