Pancakes are the best any time of year but make them extra special for new years day brunch! Make them large with sticky toffee apples, coconut granola and add your favourite ice cream plus a few sparklers if you wish!
Happy New Year to you, may 2023 be a healthy and happy one.
- For the toffee apples
- 3 apples, peeled and diced
- 1 knob of butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- For the coconut granola
- 100g oats
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 50g butter
- 50g honey
- For the pancakes
- 2 tablespoons of butter – melted
- 250g self raising flour
- 1 flat teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 280ml milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence/extract
- 1 egg – at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon white or cider vinegar or lemon juice
- oil to fry
- vanilla ice cream to serve
For the toffee apples.
- Warm a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the knob of butter, and warm through to melt. Tip in the diced apples and cook to soften for a couple of minutes. Add the cinnamon and maple syrup. Cook for a further few minutes until you get a toffee consistency, then pour into a bowl.
For the coconut granola
- Preheat the oven to 170c.
- Add the coconut, oats, honey and melted butter to a bowl, mix well. Transfer to a lined baking tray.
- Toast in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until nice and golden. Keep a close eye so it does not burn. When its cooled pour into a serving bowl.
For the pancakes
- Add the flour, sugar, bicarb of soda to a mixing bowl, give it a good stir.
- Measure the milk into a jug, crack in the egg, add the vinegar and vanilla and whisk well. Pour into the mixing bowl withe the flour and mix the batter with a fork.
- Add the melted butter and gently fold in.
- Warm a frying pan on a medium heat, add a drizzle of oil.
- To make big pancakes add 4 tablespoons of batter to the pan. Cook until you see bubbles, then flip. Repeat with all the batter.
- To serve, stack the pancakes on a plate, add the toffee apples, a few scoops of ice cream, top with coconut granola and a drizzle of maple syrup.