Baking with vegetables fills us with joy. Courgette is a great vegetable to bake with and paired with chocolate it works very well. My kids ate big slices and didn’t notice the green vegetable….I said nothing just incase.
We added cane sugar that is a healthier option over refined white sugar, or you could add coconut sugar too if you like. Our courgette season has come to an end but you can still get the best courgettes from our organic grower in Spain.
This is a delicious chocolatey moist cake we hope you try it.
For the cake
- 170 g self raising flour
- 120g cane sugar – sugar or coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 35 g cocoa powder
- 200 g courgette grated, one large courgette
- 100 g dark chocolate chopped
- 3 eggs large
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 40 g natural yoghurt
For decoration (optional)
- 35 g chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- Step 1: Pre-heat the oven to 180C and grease and line a loaf tin. I use a liner.
- Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, stir together the self raising flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder and sugar until well combined
- Step 3: Grate the courgette into the bowl along with the dark chocolate chips, stir everything together
- Step 4: In another bowl or large jug, whisk together the eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and yoghurt. Pour the egg mixture into the bowl of flour/courgette etc and stir everything together until well combined.
- Step 5: Pour the mixture into the loaf tin, top with chocolate chips and bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool fully
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in a cool place and eat within 3 days