Ok, we’re a little late to this trend, but if you are like me (wanting to eat oats regularly because they are so incredibly healthy, but fed up of porridge) you’ll appreciate this twist on a warm, sweet, oaty breakfast. It couldn’t be simpler really, blend oats with banana, milk, baking powder and a touch of honey and bake while you get ready for the day. You’ll end up with a sort of breakfast pudding that is set on the top and sides and beautifully runny in the middle. I’m sure you can come up with countless variations, but we are REALLY into blueberries right now. Did you know that we have sourced organic blueberries from Banner Berries right here in Ireland, and they come in compostable tubs!? Add some to your next order while they are in season and see what the fuss is about (we order extras and pop them straight into the freezer!).
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 small mug of porridge oats
- 1 small mug of milk (any you like)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or other flavouring you like (try cocoa powder for chocolate, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom… a dollop of peanut butter?)
- a couple of handfuls of blueberries (or any fruit you prefer – all summer berries work well as do sliced stone fruit, figs, apples, pears etc)
- Turn your oven on to 180C and gather your ingredients, a couple of large ramekins or oven safe bowls and a blender.
- Blend the oats, milk, banana, baking powder, honey and vanilla into a smooth batter. Divide it between the ramekins/bowls, sprinkle each with a handful of blueberries and pop it into the oven to bake while you make coffee and get ready for the day.
- After around 15-20 minutes, you should have 2 breakfast puddings ready to eat. they should be slightly risen and golden brown. Dig in with a spoon and find the delicious runny middle. Enjoy as it is or top with a dollop of yoghurt, nuts, seeds more fruit etc as you like.