This simple winter salad is so so delicious. We have it as a side to pretty much every meal at the moment. Sometimes topped with toasted seeds too. Don’t throw out the kale stalks! You can finely slice them and pop in a box in the freezer to take out in handfuls whenever you need some greens (or purples!) in your next stir fry, smoothie or stew. We have lots of delicious purple and green kale coming out of the fields so add some extras to your next order and try this quick salad.
- 1 apple
- 6 kale leaves (3 green, 3 purple)
- the juice of 1/2 a lemon
- a pinch of flaky sea salt
- 1 tbsp cold pressed rapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Core and finely slice the apple. Place in a salad bowl and mix with 1/2 the lemon juice to stop it from going brown.
- Rinse the kale leaves and shake dry. Then remove the leaves from their tougher central stalk. (Finely chop the stalks and pop into a freezer box to use in a different recipe.) Gather the leaves and finely slice with a large, sharp knife.
- Mix the leaves into the salad bowl with the salt, oil, apples and lemon juice. Taste and add the remaining lemon juice if needed. Enjoy right away or store the fridge for up to a day.