The watermelons on our list right now are super-sweet, organic of course, and the perfect size! Add one to your next order and try my Greek-style watermelon salad, it’s the most refreshing thing you’ll eat this year! Perfect as is with a slice of bread to mop up the juices, or as part of a BBQ.
You’ll need black olives, red onion, feta (or make my plant-based feta using the recipe from my book below), cucumber, tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, vinegar/lemon juice and herbs. Find all the certified organic ingredients to your next order here. We deliver to every address in Ireland.
Ingredients (serves 4+)
- 1 red onion
- 2 or 3 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 4+ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano (optional)
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 a cucumber
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 – 1/2 of a watermelon
- 1 pack of feta
- 1/2 a jar of black olives (ideally kalamata olives)
- fresh mint, parsley, basil as you like
- Peel, halve and finely slice the red onion and break the thin strips up into a bowl. Add the vinegar or lemon juice and allow the onions to steep and blush crimson pink for 20 minutes or so. The longer you leave them, the more pickled and bright pink they will go.
- Add the olive oil, optional oregano and black pepper and stir well. Alternatively you can wait to add the olive oil and pepper at the end.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds (don’t throw them away, add them to a smoothie), cut into bites and scatter into a large salad bowl or platter.
- Halve or quarter the plum tomatoes and add them to the bowl.
- Cut the watermelon into bite sized chunks, removing any seeds as you go, and get it into the bowl too, along with any juices on the board.
- Cube up the feta and tear the olives in half and add them to the bowl.
- Add the lightly pickled onions and all the juices. If you have not added olive oil yet, add a generous drizzle now.
- Gently mix the salad without bashing up the ingredients too much.
- Taste and if you like, add some salt (the feta and olives usually bring enough salt to the party).
- Just before serving, tear over plenty of fresh herbs – basil, mint, parsley… I usually add an extra drizzle of delicious, peppery extra virgin olive oil too. Enjoy!
And here’s the tofeta recipe. It’s so easy to make. Just drain 2 packs of this extra firm tofu really well – really squeeze out as much water as you can – blend with all the ingredients and allow to set in the fridge overnight.