This simple pasta is very fast, very easy and very delicious. The perfect weekday supper. Courgettes are coming in thick and fast now so do enjoy them and use the search bar in the blog to find lots more courgette inspiration. You can substitute the cashew nuts in this recipe for sunflower seeds or any nut/seed you prefer. No need to be too exact with the ingredients, this pasta recipe is very easy-going, as all weekday dinners should be. Enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 200g cashews covered in just boiled water
- 1 heaped tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 2 heaped tbsp nutritional yeast
- the juice of 1/2 a lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 or 2 courgettes, thinly sliced
- 4 portions of spaghetti, cooked in salted, boiling water
- 1 large mug of the starchy water that the pasta was boiled in
- a large handful of chopped herbs eg dill, parsley and mint
- Soak your cashews and get a large pot of water on to boil. Thinly slice the courgette and find a wide pan.
- When the water is boiling, generously salt it and tip in your spaghetti. While it cooks make the creamy courgette sauce.
- Put a large pan onto a medium heat and add the olive oil and sliced courgettes. Season well with salt and pepper then sauté gently to soften and wilt the courgettes.
- Blend the soaked cashews in their soaking water with the mustard, garlic granules, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Scrape the cashew cream into the pan of courgettes and steal a mug of starchy pasta water from the pot. Add it to the courgettes and cashew cream to loosen and simmer into a gently bubbling sauce.
- Drain the pasta and toss it through the sauce. Serve with extra black pepper and a sprinkle of fresh herbs.