This breakfast is one for a lazy weekend morning. It’s what we’ll have for new year’s day morning this year and we’ll be repeating it often as it was so popular in our home. Everyone is happy because they can build their own to their taste. There are sweet and savoury options and it’s such fun for the little ones in your life. Luckily it’s a breeze to put together too, especially great for those mornings when you need some extra sustenance and are not feeling 100%. Fill them with traditional breakfast foods and why not add a Mexican twist to the savoury options as a nod to the burrito with avocado, jalapeños, refried beans, salsa etc?
- tortilla wraps
- bananas (& other fruits)
- chocolate spread
- peanut butter
- a selection of cereals
- savoury breakfast foods eg:
- scrambled tofu with spinach
- roasted potato cubes/hash browns
- roasted mushrooms & tomatoes
- avocado, jalapeños, black beans…
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C and find two baking dishes, line with baking paper.
- Chop potatoes into cubes, drizzle them with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper. Add extra spices too if you fancy eg ground coriander or smoked paprika. Tumble the potatoes into one side of one baking tray.
- Cut tomatoes into wedges and add them to the other side of the tray with a drizzle of oil and a sprinkle of seasoning. Alternatively make them into a simple salsa by dicing them and adding sliced scallions, seasoning and chopped coriander?
- Slice portobello mushrooms into thin strips and give them a smokey bacon treatment? Toss them in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of salt, pepper and smoked paprika (or liquid smoke), a little maple syrup brings some sweetness. Spread them out in the other roasting dish.
- Get the dishes into the oven to roast the vegetables for 20 minutes or so while you set the table and make scramble. Heat up a frying pan to a medium heat with a knob of vegan butter, add silken tofu, season well with salt, pepper and a pinch of turmeric and break up the tofu into curds with a spatular. Stir and warm through then add chopped or baby spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Keep everything warm while you set the table. Place a stack of soft tortilla wraps on a plate. Put out the sweet options, chocolate spread, peanut butter, cereals, bananas etc for people to make sweet burritos (we like to spread the wrap with chocolate or nut butter, sprinkle over cereal for added crunch, place a peeled banana in the middle then roll up and slice). Bring out the roasted vegetables and scramble for the savoury burritos and the optional extras like jalapeños, avocado, etc.
- Assemble as you wish and enjoy!