Looking for some fantastic festive nibbles for your next seasonal soirée? These smashed and roasted potatoes and sprouts are incredible! Taking the time to squash, dress and roast your boiled/steamed veg is really worth it. This process creates gorgeous craggy edges which turn into crispy deliciousness in the oven! Perfect with a nutty romesco dipping sauce or any dip you fancy. Enjoy!
For the potatoes and sprouts:
- 1 kg potatoes, steamed/boiled until fork-tender
- 500g brussels sprouts, steamed/boiled until tender
- 5 tbsp oil (I used golden rapeseed oil)
- the zest of an orange
- 4 crushed cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fine salt
For the romesco dipping sauce:
- 100g almonds, roasted
- 2 roasted and skinned red peppers (from a jar is perfect)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tbsp vinegar (apple cider, red wine or sherry vinegars all work well here)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C and prepare the vegetables. (Boil or steam the potatoes and sprouts until they are fork soft, roast the almonds in the oven for 5 minutes, roast the peppers or use pre-roasted from a jar, prepare the dressing ingredients…)
- Spread the sprouts and potatoes onto a large, lined baking tray and squash them gently with the base of a glass.
- Mix the dressing ingredients and drizzle/brush over it all over the squished vegetables. Then place the tray in the oven to bake until golden and crispy (around 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile blend the romesco dipping sauce ingredients together until smooth. Serve the crisped up vegetables on a large platter with the sauce in a ramekin – fab festive finger food! Any left over sauce makes a great pasta or pizza sauce or can be frozen to use another time.