We are celebrating “Heart Health” this week and no better way to do so than with a warming bowl of homemade heart healthy beans!
The food we fuel ourselves with is so important when it comes to our hearts. This homemade beans dish packs in RED (like the heart) ingredients; onions, tomatoes, peppers and paprika these are all great for lowering the chances of heart disease. The beans of course are a great source of fibre that also contributes to a happy healthier heart!!
We’ve topped our beans with a protein packed poached egg, but add tofu if you wish.
All the organic ingredients can be found in our groceries www.greenearthorganics.ie/
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 400g beans (choose black, kidney, butter or cannellini) – drained
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli – optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- To serve poached eggs or tofu and fresh chopped parsley to sprinkle
- Warm a frying pan on a medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the diced red onion and cook to soften for 5 minutes.
- Tip in the diced red pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, chilli and honey, stir in and cook the spices for a few minutes, if they begin to catch add a tablespoon of water.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes and stir in the drained beans.
- Simmer on low for 30 minutes. Taste the beans and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Poach an egg or two in a separate pot then serve up.
- Scoop the beans into a bowl top with an egg or two and some chopped parsley if you are feeling fancy.