Hot charred and smokey aubergines and courgettes, delicious for a bit of outdoor dining. The best thing about these skewers is that the pre cooked veggies get a coating of garlicky, spicy sweet tangy tomato sauce, that smell so good on the grill. Make sure to turn and char them for extra flavour.
You’ll have seen the veggie skewers with big lumps of aubergine and peppers and courgettes, it’s hard to get the flavour straight to the core, but with these it works a dream!
They are a bit fiddly so I’ve cooked them on a flat frying pan, so be careful on the BBQ. If you char them on the BBQ, pre-soak the wooden sticks in water for 30 minutes to prevent them burning.
Courgettes will be abundant on the farm come July/August so save this to try then too.
- 1 courgette
- 1 aubergine
- Oil, salt, pepper
- For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp black pepper
- To serve:
- 1-2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Step 2: Slice the aubergine and courgette into fairly thin slices so they cook quickly and are easy to thread onto the skewers. Lay them on the baking trays, brush with cooking oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook the aubergine and courgette slices for 15-20 minutes until cooked through and soft. Let them cool for 10 minutes.
- Step 3: While they cool make the sauce. Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl.
- Step 4: Thread one piece of aubergine and one piece of courgette onto the skewer. Lay on a baking tray and brush on the sauce.
- Step 5: Heat a frying pan and cook the skewers on the hot pan to sear and char. Brush on more sauce as they cook, turn to cook on both sides.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve. Eat them off the skewer, have with salad or add to flatbreads with hummus and enjoy as a sandwich.