Overnight oats are so creamy and delicious, they fill you up and feel a bit special. Make these and give your past self a pat on the back in the morning! This autumnal version is probably my favourite. A creamy and sweetly-spiced pumpkin and cashew cream layer topped with an apple, oat, chia and pumpkin seed layer. I eat mine with a dollop of natural yoghurt on top.
Overnight oats last well in the fridge for 3 days. Mix up the ingredients and layer them up in jars or glasses and that’s breakfast sorted for a few mornings. This recipe makes 6 portions. Enjoy! And don’t forget to share your recreations with us in the comments or over on our friendly community Facebook group.
Ingredients (serves 6)
Pumpkin Cashew Cream:
- 500g kuri squash pumpkin (or sub with butternut squash or similar)
- 100g cashew nuts
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
Apple Overnight Oats:
- 180g porridge oats
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 6 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 apples, grated
- 500g milk (any milk you prefer)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Yoghurt to serve
- Chop the kuri squash into bite sized chunks, no need to peel but do remove the seeds, and roast at 200C until soft. This usually takes around 20 minutes.
- Spoon the cooked squash into a blender with the rest of the Pumpkin Cashew Cream ingredients and blend into a smooth, thick cream. Taste and add more maple syrup if you prefer it sweeter.
- Mix all the Apple Overnight Oats ingredients in a large bowl.
- Divide the pumpkin cream between 6 bowls/glasses/jars. Top with the apple-oat mixture.
- Cover the portions and refrigerate overnight (or eat right away). They should stay fresh for 3 days in the fridge.
- Serve with a dollop of natural yoghurt. Scoop down to get a bit of both layers in each bite!