Our beautiful Irish courgettes are in season, they are plentiful, glorious and glossy green! And we will be eating them in every way possible over the next couple of months! This time we are going creamy and cheesy. Just one pot is required to make this comforting bowl of goodness.
We love all sorts of pasta in our house and orzo is a particular favourite. We always have the “Is it rice?” conversation, I’m guessing most families do! Its always great to add variety to mealtimes and especially if you have curious kids in the house!
Do you fancy making this tasty one pot meal? Let us know in the comments we love to hear from you.
Ingredients: makes 2 big portions
- 1 small leek sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 250g orzo pasta
- 1 pint veg stock
- 1 Irish courgette – 300g approx- coarsely grated
- 100ml cream
- Parmesan grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1: Finely slice the leeks and garlic.
- Step 2: Warm a pot on a medium heat, add a tablespoon of cooking oil, add with the leeks, garlic, a small pinch of salt and pepper and stir. Cook gently to soften.
- Step 3: Next pour in the orzo and veg stock and simmer to cook for 10 minutes, stir occasionally to stop the pasta sticking on the bottom of the pot.
- Step 4: Add the cream to the pot then coarsely grate the courgette, and add this too. Simmer for a further few minutes, then stir in a handful of parmesan cheese.
- If the sauce looks too thin, turn up the heat for a couple of minutes and let the sauce bubble, but stir it so it doesn’t stick. Add some more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with extra grated parmesan.