The festive meal at this time of year is all about the added extras!! Bread stuffing is a traditional side and a great one to experiment with. Veggie sausages are packed full of flavour and work perfectly in a bread stuffing. It’s easy to add in some seasonal ingredients like chestnuts and nuts to give it that Christmasy feel.
Tip don’t over mix the ingredients, its nice to have the texture of the nuts and seeds in the stuffing. Bake as a loaf or roll into balls.
Serve with your favourite veggie main meal. Here we have a spiced lentil stuffed squash with feta and pomegranate and a side of cranberry sauce, yum.
We hope you give it a try this festive season.
Ingredients: makes 10 portions -2 small loaves or make one one big tray
- 6 good quality veggie sausages– chopped
- 6 slices of stale bread bread (350g approx)
- 100ml milk (dairy or non dairy)
- 2 onions – finely diced
- 50g butter (dairy or non dairy)
- 100g cooked chestnuts
- 50g walnuts
- 30g pumpkin seeds plus extra to decorate, optional
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs
- Line 2 loaf tins with paper liners. Or bake one big one in an 9in x 9in square tin.
- Preheat the oven 180C.
- Tear up the bread and place it in a bowl. Pour the milk over it and leave to soak for a few minutes.
- Add the butter and finely diced onion to a frying pan. Sauté on low until the onion is soft.
- Add the soaked bread, chopped sausages, cooked onion, chestnuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and dried herbs to a food processor. Pulse to combine for a few seconds at a time.
- Spoon the mix into the loaf tins. Decorate with pumpkin seeds on top. Wrap, label and freeze one for another time if you wish.
- Bake the other one for 20 minutes, check that its piping hot all the way through.
- Slice and serve with your veggie main course.