Tacos are perfect for summer eating, outdoor festivals and they’re great to make at home too #homemade! These tofu tacos are inspired by a recent trip to a music festival, while there, I tried some bean tacos but these tofu ones are really delicious and the salsa brings so much freshness and flavour. They work so well for a super tasty lunch or add some spiced rice to have for dinner.
A bag of mixed Irish leaves that I picked up from the Green Earth Organics Saturday Farm Shop serves as the perfect paring along side the spicy tofu and zingy salsa. And I have to say, the salsa sings with the flavour packed organic tomatoes, local cucumbers and red onions!!
Give these finger licking tacos a go this summer.
Ingredients – Serves 2 (makes 6 tacos)
For the tofu:
For the blackening spice mix:
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (this helps to keep tofu crispy)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the tomato salsa:
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- ¼ cucumber
- 1 red onion
- Zest and juice of half a lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
To serve the tacos:
- Organic mixed Irish leaves, washed
- 6 mini tortillas or more if needed
- Sour cream or vegan alternative
- Jalapeños optional
- Open the packet of tofu, discard the liquid and it pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Carefully slice into 1cm cubes and place in a bowl or container.
- Pour the soy sauce or tamari on top and set aside to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Next make the blackened spice mix, simply measure all the ingredients into a wide dish and mix well with a fork.
- To make the salsa, with a sharp knife, cut the tomato into quarters and carefully cut out the seeds, reserve the seeds for a sauce or soup. Finely dice the flesh and place in a bowl. Repeat with the cucumber and red onion.
- To the same bowl add the zest and juice of half a lime, olive oil, sprinkle in a pinch of salt and pepper and gently fold the ingredients together to complete the salsa.
- To cook the tofu. Add the tofu to the container with the blackened spice mix and toss to coat.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on a medium to high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- When the oil is hot add half of the tofu. They should sizzle and not burn on the pan, carefully turn the tofu with tongs or a fork to cook on all sides. Lift onto a plate lined with kitchen paper. Repeat with the rest of the tofu.
- To serve: Line up the tortilla wraps (you can warm them first if you wish) add some organic leaves, top with salsa, blackened tofu, sour cream and fresh coriander.