We are obsessed with salsas! Scooping up salsa with tortilla crisps has got to be one of the best ways to get kids to eat a load of fresh, raw veggies too. Putting out a big bowl of salsa and tortillas while the BBQ is getting going keeps everyone happy. And of course, salsa is a key ingredient in a taco. There are countless variations, enjoy playing around and finding a fun combination that you love. The version below is a super simple one which I know my whole family will love, but I also love adding fruit like diced pineapple, cherries, mango or peaches and adding finely sliced fresh chillies or a spoon of smokey chipotle chilli paste. Grilled corn and diced avocado are also stunning additions. Share your favourite combination with us in the comments?
Ingredients (makes enough for a whole large bag of tortilla chips)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime – juiced
- 1 clove of garlic – crushed
- a pinch of salt
- 1 red pepper – diced
- 1/3rd of a large cucumber – diced
- 1/2 a punnet of honey drop cherry tomatoes – diced
- 2 scallions – finely sliced
- 1 bunch of coriander – chopped
- *optional extras* chilli, avocado, grilled corn, cherries, peaches, mango, pineapple…
- Pour the olive oil and lime juice into a large bowl.
- Add the crushed garlic and salt and mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix with a spoon to coat them all in the dressing.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serve with a bowl of tortilla chips.
- Keep any leftovers in a tub in the fridge, salsa is even better the next day!