Weekends are for brunching and here is one of our favourites. The combination of fresh, vibrant green pesto, soft, wobbly scrambled tofu and juicy, umami mushrooms is just perfect!
You can make your own pesto very easily if you have a food processor or blender – I used my kale and pumpkin seed pesto that I’m making on repeat this time – or you can of course use a ready made one for ease. We sell a few organic jars of pesto in the grocery section of our shop. The scramble is simply a gently sautéed pack of organic silken tofu seasoned with salt, pepper and some chopped sun-dried tomatoes. And those gorgeous, meaty mushrooms are marinated with our new packs of umami paste then grilled.
What’s your favourite brunch? Are you a sweet or savoury person? Let us know in the comments.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- bread for toasting
- a jar of pesto (or try make a batch of my kale & pumpkin seeds pesto)
- a knob of butter or a tbsp of olive oil
- 1 pack of silken tofu
- 4 or more sun-dried tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8-10 chestnut mushrooms
- 3 tbsp umami paste & a drizzle of olive oil
- Cut bread and pop it in the toaster ready to go. Heat up a griddle pan (or fire up the grill in your oven).
- Slice the mushrooms in half and mix them with the umami paste and a drizzle of olive oil in a bowl. Then push them onto skewers and place them in a hot griddle pan (or on a tray under your grill) to cook whilst you get on with the scramble.
- Heat up a knob of butter (or tbsp of olive oil) in a medium-high heated frying pan. Open your pack of silken tofu, drain off any excess liquid and then pop it in the pan. Break it up gently with a wooden spoon or a spatular.
- Season the scrambling tofu with salt and pepper and then add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Keep the scramble moving and cook it for 5 minutes or so until it’s warmed through, but don’t break it up too much. It’s nice when there are still some larger pieces.
- Meanwhile turn the mushrooms in the grill to cook the other side and then toast the bread.
- Spread the toast with a thick layer of pesto, then divide the scramble and mushrooms between the plates.
- Enjoy whilst hot!