This homemade gravy powder is so handy to have on standby in your kitchen cupboard. It will bring bags of flavour to your festive feast and can also be used to thicken up and flavour stews and pies. To make this powder into gravy, we like to use a nutty browned butter and rich red wine base. Read on below to see how it comes together.
- 6 tbsp corn starch (or potato starch or tapioca)
- 3 tbsp crumbled dried mushrooms
- 6 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 tbsp garlic or onion powder/granules
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Simply measure the ingredients into a strong blender and process until they come together into a fine powder. Then store in a clean, dry, labelled jar.
Ingredients to Make Gravy:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 100ml red wine (white wine works well too)
- 300ml milk
- 3 tbsp gravy powder (above)
- salt to taste if needed
- Add a tbsp of butter to a hot pan (we use Naturli vegan butter which browns beautifully) and cook for a couple of minutes on a high heat until it foams then starts to brown. (Browning the butter creates a complex, nutty flavour and the butter also gives the gravy a shiny and silky texture.)
- Next add 100ml of red wine and boil for a few minutes to cook off the alcohol and reduce slightly.
- Meanwhile whisk 3 tbsp of the gravy powder with 300ml of milk (we use delicious, creamy oat milk). When the red wine has reduced, add the milk mixture to the pot, then whisk and simmer until the gravy is thickened. If you’d like a looser gravy, add a splash more milk or water.
- Taste and season if needed with a pinch of salt. Serve hot and enjoy!