It is very rare that we bother to peel our organic potatoes. Including potato peel in recipes means more wonderful fibre and nutrients. But when we do peel, we make this delicious snack to avoid waste. These are also a great alternative to a plastic bag of crisps ~ save packaging waste, food waste and money! You can make these crisps in the oven or air fryer. I tested this recipe with thinner peel, made from a potato peeler and although it works fine, the crisps were a little too thin, not ideal. So if you want to make this recipe, I recommend using a knife to peel slightly thicker pieces for a more satisfying crisp.
- Potato peel
- olive oil
- optional extra flavourings eg smoked salt, paprika, nutritional yeast, herbs, chilli powder…
- Scrub and peel your potatoes (this works with any root veg eg parsnips, swede, beetroot, carrots). For more satisfying crisps, use a small sharp knife to peel.
- Drizzle the peels with good olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt. A little goes a long way so be careful not to over-season. You could also add other flavourings if you wish.
- Mix well ensuring all the peels are coated with the seasoning. Then tip into your air fryer basket or spread onto a large, lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 180C until browned and crispy – around 15 minutes. Turn or toss the crisps halfway through the baking process to ensure they bake evenly. Enjoy!