Halloween is creeping closer so its time to start thinking of some tasty treats to share! We are adding plenty of wholesome ingredients to balance the sugar overload at this trick or treating time of year! Make your own eyeballs too for that startled spooky MUMMY look!! I reckon these can even go into the school lunch boxes too! #nutfree
To make the task of decorating these flapjacks more enjoyable, I recommend making and baking them the day before and add the melted chocolate the next day along with the eyeballs. Adding the finishing touches is a nice job for kids. #kidsinthekitchen
Make them this Halloween and let us know what you think in the comments.
Ingredients – makes 12
- 300g Oats
- 100g pumpkin/sunflower seeds
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 200g pitted dates
- 100g light brown sugar
- 225g butter (dairy or vegan)
To decorate: 100g white chocolate melted
Homemade eyeballs – white fondant ready to roll icing and chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 180℃. Line a square or rectangle brownie baking tin (8inc x 8inc) with parchment paper.
- Begin by chopping or blending the dates.
- Add the butter, brown sugar and chopped dates to a pot.
- Put onto the hob and heat slowly to melt the butter and dissolve the sugar, , stir with a wooden spoon.
- In the meantime measure the oats, seeds, coconut and cinnamon into a mixing bowl, give it a stir.
- Check on the pot. Bring to a gently boil, mix well and take off the heat. The mix should be soft and sticky.
- Tip the sticky mix into the bowl with the dry ingredients, mix well with a spatula or spoon or use your clean hands to coat all the oats and seeds.
- Spoon it into the baking tin and push and smooth down. TIP: get a square piece of piece of parchment paper to and lay it on top and use your hands to smooth it out. Discard the paper.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, the top should be nice and golden.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- Slice into 12 even bars, a bread knife works best for these!
- To decorate: Make some homemade eyeballs using some white fondant and chocolate chips. Roll the fondant into small balls and push in a chocolate chip for the pupil. Made 24.
- Melt the white chocolate either in the microwave, check it every 30 seconds and give it a good stir to loosen or in a bowl over a pot of boiling water (baine marie) don’t let the water touch the bottom of the bowl . You need the chocolate to be fluid so its easy to spoon over the flapjacks. If it seems stiff melt it for a further 30 seconds and mix really well with a spoon again.
- Line the flapjacks up on a chopping board lined with parchment paper and drizzle over the chocolate, add the eyeballs.
- Allow the chocolate to set for 1 hour then devour!!!!
Happy Halloween, enjoy!