This is a really delicious and hearty veggie main for your festive feast, made with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. A great option if you need an alternative to a nut roast, this beetloaf is nut free, can easily be gluten free if you use gluten free oats, and is full of healthy fibre and protein from beans, chickpeas and oats. Make is Christmassy as I’ve done here with a cranberry sauce glaze, or use it for another occasion and switch the cranberry sauce for barbecue sauce, apple chutney or a mustard and maple glaze. Make it your own with your favourite herbs and spices. Happy Christmas!
- 400g cooked beetroot
- 1 tin of chickpeas plus the liquid in the tin
- 2 tins black beans, drained
- 1 tbsp each: smoked paprika, sage, rosemary and thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato purée or ketchup
- 2 diced onions and 4 diced garlic cloves cooked in olive oil
- 150-200g porridge oats
- salt and pepper to taste
- cranberry sauce to glaze (around 6 tbsp)
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C and line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- In a food processor, blend the beetroot, chickpeas and their liquid, herbs and spices, seasoning and half the black beans into a thick purée.
- Add the onion/garlic mix, 150g of oats and remaining black beans and pulse together to retain some texture.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed and add more oats if a little wet.
- Scrape into the lined loaf tin, cover with cranberry sauce (or any glaze you prefer eg barbecue sauce, mustard and maple…) and bake for around an hour or until cooked through.
- Serve in slices with all the trimmings. Gravy, roast potatoes, greens…