Who says you can’t have cake for breakfast!
This cake has wholesome organic oats, eggs, fruit, yoghurt topped with more oats, seeds and coconut – there’s a bit of sugar for good measure but perfect for a breakfast treat!
Its an easy one to put together, no fancy equipment needed just a mixing bowl, a jug and a couple of baking trays. You could bake the streusel on top of the cake but we prefer it separate and sprinkled on top of the yoghurt.
You can pick up most of the gorgeous organic ingredients in eco packaging in our online shop, see links below.
It makes 9 generous portions, make cake for breakfast.
- For the granola streusel
- 20g rolled oats
- 20g mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame)
- 10g desiccated coconut
- 25g plain flour
- 85g demerara sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 70g cold butter
- For the blueberry cake
- 150g plain flour
- 50g rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g sugar (cane or white)
- 110ml vegetable oil (like sunflower or light olive oil)
- 110g plain yoghurt we like Mossfield from Co. Offaly
- 3 organic eggs
- 125g organic blueberries lightly coated in flour (fresh or frozen)
- Optional – topping 2 medium bananas sliced lengthways (Warning they will go brown in time, if you’re not keen on brown bananas leave them off.)
-Preheat your oven to 180°C.
For the granola streusel:
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and work the butter into the dry ingredients with your fingers. Make sure there are no big lumps of butter.
- Layer onto the baking tray and bake for 15 minutes. The streusel will look like a giant cookie, let it cool and then break up into pieces and put it into a bowl for later.
For the cake:
- Line a 9×9 inch square tin with parchment paper.
- Measure all the dry ingredients.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, bicarb of soda, cinnamon and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the oats and give everything a good mix.
- Add a small bit of flour to the blueberries and toss to coat.
- Add the blueberries to the mixing bowl and gently fold in.
- Add all the wet ingredients to a jug, the oil, yoghurt and eggs, mix well with a fork.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix until the flour is worked in, don’t over mix, some lumps are ok.
- Pour into the square baking tray, top with sliced banana if using.
- Bake for 25-30 mins. Check it’s cooked with a cocktail stick, if it comes out clean it’s done.
- Allow to cool completely, then slice into 9 squares.
Top a nice square slice of cake with organic yoghurt and top with a generous sprinkle of granola streusel.