Whats the best thing about a homemade snack? For me its knowing exactly what has been added plus adding exactly what I like! I’ve been making these little energy balls for my kids and I for almost 5 years. I keep them nut free so the kids can take them to school in their lunch boxes. I make big batches so I can freeze the extra and grab them from the freezer to have with a coffee or to take on a car trip or picnic. They are little nuggets of goodness and much better than anything you’ll pick up in the shops!
You’ll find all 5 of the ingredients you need in our online groceries.
Ingredients – makes 22 approx
- 230g pitted dates (2 cups)
- 75g oats (1 cup)
- 40g desiccated coconut (1/2 cup) plus an extra 1/2 cup for rolling
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 125g mixed seeds like sunflower/pumpkin (1 cup)
- To make the balls: Add the dates to a bowl and cover with boiling water to soften.
- Meanwhile blend the oats, seeds, coconut, cocoa powder.
- Drain the dates and add them to the blender. Blend until it looks like a thick paste. If it looks dry and won’t roll add a dash of boiling water and blend again.
- Roll into balls – big or small- whichever you prefer. Add the extra coconut to a wide bowl. To help the coconut stick, wet your hands and roll the balls again then add to the coconut.
- Store in a container in the fridge for a week or freeze them for 3 months.