The Twix bar is so iconic! Well known for its biscuit base, caramel centre and topped with chocolate. Would you believe me if I said these are sugar free, wheat free, dairy free and an utterly delicious alternative. #guiltfreetreats
The date and almond caramel filling is divine, make extra and use it for dipping apple slices, in brownies, on porridge or add it to smoothies.
Find all the ingredient needed in the groceries section, most of which are in compostable or reusable packaging.
Ingredients: Makes 8-10
- For the base
- 100g coconut flour
- 80g coconut oil, melted
- 60ml (4 tbsp) honey or maple syrup
- For the caramel
- 6 pitted dates
- 40g coconut oil , melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g almond butter (or cashew butter)
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 4-6 tablespoons of hot water
- To finish:
- 100g good quality dark chocolate
- Line a small tray (4x8inch approx) or lunch box with parchment paper.
- Start by making the base, measure the coconut flour, melted coconut oil and maple syrup into a mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Spoon into the tray and push down to flatten. Tip use an extra piece of parchment paper the size of the tray put it on top of the base and push to flatten with the palm of your hand. Chill the base for 5 minutes.
- For the caramel add all the ingredients to a small blender, pulse to blend and add the hot water as needed- you might not need it all. Blend until smooth, the consistency should be thick and not too loose.
- Spoon the caramel onto the base and smooth with the back of a spoon until its nice and even. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- After this time cut into bars and place on a wire rack or plate.
- Melt the chocolate gently in a pot or in the microwave.
- Spoon the melted chocolate over top of the bars and chill for 10 minutes. Enjoy!