Organic orange pumpkins are sweet and delicious and marry perfectly with banana, spices and chocolate! While the supermarkets are jammed with ornamental pumpkins, in October, that will be carved and go to waste we think its much better for the planet that we roast them and cook and bake with them as nature intended.
This recipe will give you a delicious bread that isn’t too sweet or spicy its just right. Add butter if you like and tea or pumpkin spiced latte!
Keep cosy with this one.
▪️100g pumpkin puree (*homemade see below)
▪️2 large ripe banana
▪️4 tablespoons neutral oil
▪️2 medium eggs
▪️70ml maple syrup
▪️300g plain flour
▪️2 tsp baking powder
▪️1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
▪️2 tsp mixed pumpkin spice or ground cinnamon
▪️80g chopped dark chocolate
- *Follow the link to make your own pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice mix- Click here
- Step 1: Preheat the oven 160ºc and line a loaf tin with a liner or parchment paper.
- Step 2: Mash the bananas well and add them to a mixing bowl along with the pumpkin puree, oil, eggs, maple syrup, mix well.
- Step 3: Sieve in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, mixed spice. Stir gently, then add 3/4 of the chopped chocolate. Spoon into the loaf tin. Smooth the batter and sprinkle with the remaining chopped chocolate.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until cooked through. Test with a skewer. Cool and slice.