A few tins of organic chickpeas in the kitchen cupboard are always so useful! One of our kitchen staples for sure! Whizz them into hummus, smash them and mix with mayo for a stunning sandwich filler, simmer them in curries and stews, use the aquafaba for making vegan mayo or cakes, blend up with herbs and spices and make veggie burgers or falafels, or simply mix them with a dressing and seasonal veg for a satisfying salad. Here’s the one we’re having on repeat at the moment. A gorgeous combination of colourful, fresh veg with a simple vinaigrette. Goes perfectly alongside a BBQ!
‘Eating the rainbow’ at every opportunity is also a fantastic (and delicious) way to ensure you are getting a diverse range of the essential vitamins and minerals you need from your food. Liz
- 1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 drained tin of chickpeas (keep the liquid in a tub/jar in the fridge to use for something else)
- a large handful each of chopped red onion, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, yellow pepper
- the stems from a bunch of rainbow chard, chopped
- 1 bunch of asparagus, woody ends snapped off and composted, the rest chopped at an angle
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- a little extra olive oil for sautéing
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional extra fresh herbs
- Mix the mustard, olive oil and vinegar in the base of a large platter or salad bowl.
- Add the chickpeas, red onion, tomato, cucumber and pepper.
- Sauté the asparagus and rainbow chard stems with a little olive oil, salt and pepper until just tender. Then add them to the salad.
- Mix well, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.