For a warming bowl of hearty food in a hurry, try this quick curry. Cabbage and potato are made for each other aren’t they? With the addition of some warming curry spices and creamy coconut milk, these humble ingredients can really sing! Of course you can tweak the recipe as you like with the addition of cooked chickpeas and some cauliflower/romanesco florets etc. Let us know if you tried it in the comments or over on our community facebook group.
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 8 small/medium potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 a savoy cabbage, sliced
- fresh chilli to taste, sliced
- 1 heaped tsp each: brown mustard seeds, turmeric, curry powder, salt and black pepper
- 1 400g tin coconut milk
- *optional extras* – cooked chickpeas, cauliflower/romanesco florets…
- Indian chutneys and natural yoghurt to serve
- In a large, heavy bottomed pan (which has a lid), fry the onion and garlic with the vegetable oil until golden and soft.
- Add the potatoes, spices and seasoning and sauté until fragrant. Add a small glass of water then put the lid on and allow the potatoes to steam cook for 8 minutes or until tender. Test with a knife.
- Then add the cabbage, coconut milk and chilli to the pan, return the lid and let the cabbage wilt for 3 minutes. (Here’s where you can add the cooked chickpeas if using.)
- Then stir the vegetables together, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed with more salt/pepper, return the lid one last time for a further 3 minutes and your curry is done!
- Serve in warm bowls with Indian chutneys and natural yoghurt. Enjoy!