Crispy, crunchy and so moorish!!
Smashed potatoes were a huge viral hit recently and we were just dying to try it out with our delicious new potatoes. Needless to say they did not disappoint, they turned out so wonderfully golden and crispy right round the jagged edges. They are amazing to eat as they are but we thought we’d whip up a quick pesto to celebrate our spuds even more!
Grab the kale in your veg box for this tasty pesto. Blend it and taste it and add extra salt and lemon juice if needed.
Ingredients: Serves 2
For the potatoes:
- 1 kg new season potatoes, washed (this works best with small waxy potatoes)
- oil, salt and pepper
- 100g kale, 2 cups – finely chopped
- 15g basil ½ cup, finely chopped
- 50g chopped cashews
- juice of 1/2 a lemon or lime
- pinch salt and pepper
- 200ml olive oil, more if needed
- 50 ml water
- Step 1: Wash the potatoes but no need to peel them. Steam or boil them for roughly 30 minutes, until they are cooked through. Let them cool for 15 minutes.
- Step 2: Preheat the oven 200ºC, line a large baking tray with parchment paper (or 2 smaller trays) Once cooled place one potato on the baking tray, use a shape knife to mark an X on top. Then use a glass with a wide flat bottom and push down on the potato to smash it. Carefully lift the glass off. Repeat with the other potatoes.
- Step 3: Drizzle with oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until golden and crisp around the edges.
- Step 4: In the meantime add all the pesto ingredients to a powerful blender. Blend until combined, if it’s very thick add more oil. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Step 5: Dip the smashed potatoes in the pesto, enjoy!!