If you like gazpacho, you’ll love this simpler version of chilled tomato soup. It is so quick and easy to make and perfectly balanced with a creamy texture and refreshing sweet and tangy tomato flavour. Traditionally it is served topped with chopped boiled egg and jamón slices but we love it with cumin and smoked paprika chickpeas. This soup is only as good as the quality of the ingredients, so use ripe tomatoes, really good olive oil and for the best flavour, sourdough bread.
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the soup:
- 500g tomatoes (any fresh, ripe tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp red wine or sherry vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 slices of stale sourdough bread
- salt and pepper to taste
For the chickpeas:
- 1/2 a tin of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- Put the soup ingredients into a strong blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed with more salt, pepper or vinegar.
- Pour into a jar or jug and chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Meanwhile fry the chickpeas in a hot frying pan with the oil and spices until they start to pop. Tumble into a bowl and keep in the fridge to serve with the soup later.
- Divide into 4 bowls and top with the spiced chickpeas. The soup will keep fresh in the fridge for 3 days.