Chocolate mousse with hidden butternut squash, we couldn’t wait to try this one!! An indulgent chocolate mousse that is made mostly of healthy stuff sounds too good to be true.
This one pass the test with my kids and the butternut squash went undetected! The mouse is delicious on its own but if you want to give it a lighter texture try folding whipped cream through it, this is how I served it to my kids.
TIP: For a really tasty mousse its important to use a good quality chocolate.
Will you try it?
- 700g raw butternut squash – peeled and cubed
- 400g good quality chocolate, chopped (you can use your favourite milk or dark chocolate)
- Serve with a dusting of cacoa powder, whipped cream or cremé fraichê and toasted hazelnuts or almonds, banana or raspberries would be delicious too
- Peel, deseed and cube the butternut squash. Put it in a medium sized pot cover with cold water. Put on the hob, bring to a simmer and cook until completely soft, 20-30 mins.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave or on a double boiler on the hob.
- When the butternut squash is cooked, strain and add to a blender along with the melted chocolate.
- Blend until silky smooth.
- Pour into a large bowl or individual bowls. Leave to cool on the worktop then transfer to the fridge to set for at least 4 hours, overnight if possible.
- Dust with cocoa powder and serve!