Healthy wholesome sweet and tasty!! Indulge in these easy snacks over the summer holidays.
We were invited to an outdoor picnic last week and I was wracking my head thinking what to bring as a sweet treat. I made these and they went down really well. They are pre portioned, easy to box up and transport, bite sized, no messy fingers and taste top!
We have Irish organic carrots galore and all the ingredients for these tasty balls in stock.
Save them for your next picnic treat.
P.S. Let us know if you make them.
Ingredients: makes 15 approx
- 225g Irish organic carrots grated – 4 small
- 75g walnuts
- 1 cup rolled oats (80g)
- 10 pitted dates chopped (soaked in hot water for 10 minutes help blend)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice (or nutmeg/ginger)
- 2-4 tbsp hot water to blend- use 2 tbsp to start, you may need more depending on the liquid from the carrots
- To roll: 25g desiccated coconut or ground almonds as a substitute
Step 1: To a blender add the grated carrots, walnuts, oats, chopped dates, cinnamon, mixed spice and 2 tbsp of hot water. The mix should be sticky, if its a bit dry add a small bit of water and blend again.
Step 2: Blend until you reach they desired consistency, plus for chunky or blend on high for smoother. Test it to see if it will roll into balls.
Step 3: Roll the balls in the coconut and put them on a tray or plate. Let them set in the fridge for 1 hour, then enjoy. They will keep in the fridge in a closed container for 3 days or in the freezer for longer.