The new season kale coming out of our fields and tunnels is so stunning! We are adding it to all our meals. Don’t forget to add some to your next order! Here’s a quick and easy kale pesto recipe which is so handy, not just for pesto pasta, but for sandwiches and wraps, to spread on toast and top with scrambled egg/tofu, to toss through freshly boiled new potatoes… My recipe is dairy and nut free to make it allergen friendly (I use pumpkin seeds which are incredibly nutritious and ours come in compostable bags), but as always, tweak it to your liking with different nuts/seeds and cheese. And do share how you love to eat your pesto in the comments below.
Ingredients (makes a jar like the one pictured above)
- 100g kale – rinsed
- 100g pumpkin seeds – toasted
- 1 clove of garlic – peeled
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 a lemon – zest and juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for a thin layer on top at the end)
- Put all the ingredients into a blender or food processor.
- Pulse until the ingredients come together into a rough, textured sauce.
- Taste for seasoning and add more olive oil, lemon juice or salt as desired.
- Spoon into a clean jar and top with a layer of olive oil to keep it fresher for longer.
- Keep in the fridge and use within a week, or freeze for longer storage.